[Nhhoa] Behavior

Kimberly Hackler Kimberly.Hackler at comcast.net
Sun Apr 5 07:14:31 CDT 2009

I hate to spend my personal time addressing yet another situation but I am absolutely tired of being attacked.  Constructive criticism is one thing; complaining, bickering, and attacking is another.
For over a week,  Alan Isdell tirelessly installed the new swingset at the playground.  Do you know what that means?  He took his personal time away from his child so that your child(ren) would have a safe, and improved, playset.  He and my husband were down there early yesterday finishing up and putting down mulch for your enjoyment at the Easter Egg Hunt.  Alan installed it to save the HOA budget the $700 Home Depot would have charged for installation.
Surely everyone saw it going up, since it wasn't an overnight project, so did anyone call and offer to help?  Brandon Harris was the only person that actually stopped by and helped Alan out.  Thanks to Brandon and shame on the rest of you.  But even worse, I didn't hear one "thanks" yesterday.  Wow, that really motivates you to work harder.  The members of this Board spend more personal time making repairs to save money on labor charges than you'll ever know. Their families sacrifice because their time could be spent with their family and their own home improvement projects.

Here's the bigger issue. While the Rago's and Lechwold's (Harbor Lane) children were enjoying the new playset, commentary between them included that "the Board was sanctimonious and on a powertrip with the proposed covenants".  One of them also said that "the Board members were the biggest offenders of the documents".  Every Board member, and Committee Chair, have full-time jobs with tremendous responsibilities for personnel and P& L.  We all have enough to keep up with in our own lives; we don't need Board positions to feel good about ourselves.  We do this because we're committed to the neighborhood.  But that commitment is being tested.
Let me remind them, and everyone, that we are not in high school anymore.  Overhearing this crap yesterday reminded me of the petty behavior that occurs among high school halls.  This type of behavior is the core at the toxicity that continues to trickle through the neighborhood; not a disagreement of the covenants content itself.
Such behavior is rude, disrespectful, negative, and (really) pretty cowardly.  It's cowardly because most of the Board were in attendance so why couldn't they come over and say "Hey, we're concerned that you're offending the rules and that you're on a power trip." Maybe it would have led to some clarifying conversation. Instead, you attack us literally right behind our backs.  I only hope you teach your children better manners that what you displayed yesterday.  I'm so tired of defending and explaining but if you're going to attack something that I'm a part of behind my back, I have the right to bring such behavior into the light of day.  Have the courage to constructively approach the Board if you have issues & quit the petty back-stabbing. It's in bad taste and it certainly isn't a good example to others, nor or children.
So, it's obvious to me that the Rago's and Lechwold's think they can do a better job with the proposed documents.  The voting was extended until May 1, 2009 and we urge you to vote, regardless of how you vote.
 Mr. & Mrs Rago/Mr. & Mrs. Lechwold:  if the vote doesn't go one way or the other, it's best to continue to work on them for approval.  Since you have better ways to do such, you can take the project over on May 2nd.
I'll have all of the documentation ready to go, along with how to contact our HOA attorney, so please contact me, via email, to arrange a time to pick them up.
Mr. Rago, you suggested we have a BBQ at the pool opening.  We think that's a great idea so will you attend the next Board meeting (2nd Tuesday at 7:00) and take the lead on the event?  The HOA budget could pay for the meat and the neighbors could bring sides.  Scott Smith's Board had one and I heard positive things about it..