[Nhhoa] County Leash Laws and the HOA

NHHOA President - Amy Figueras President at NHHOA.org
Wed Jan 16 10:30:14 CST 2008

Hi Neighbors,

We are so glad that the Mailing List is being used for the exchange
of information and the safety of our neighborhood.  It is
communication that helps us help each other!

In light of the recent activities involving loose dogs, I've
contacted Bartow County Animal Control at 770-387-5153.

Regarding the dog who bit Sharon McCoy at 20 Harbor Lane, they do
have the dog in custody, and in accordance with their policy, are
holding it for 10 days after the bite.  It will cost the owner $195
to get the dog back if rabies not current and $180 to get the dog
back if rabies current.  So, there is a financial consequence as
well.  This should encourage the owner to keep the dog contained.

Regarding the incident reported by Mel Parish, where Animal Control
came out, the dog ran away, and they left; I spoke with the officer
who responded to that call and he said he did go back and set the trap.

What do you do when you see a loose dog?
Contact Animal Control at 770-387-5153.  Any loose dog contact them,
immediately.  The sooner know about it, the easier it is for them to
catch the dog.  Try to provide a description of dog, and if known,
the owners address.  If a dog is friendly and on your property, they
advised you do have the right to hold it on your property until they
can come pick it up.  They do not recommend holding a dog you feel
may bite or attack.

Then, call or email Tom Jackson, Vice President to file a formal
complaint with the HOA on our own Complaint Log.  He is the HOA
Complaint Contact.  His phone number is 770-606-0750 and email is
VicePresident at NHHOA.org.  You can also email the Mailing List to
inform more of the neighborhood, as has been done recently.

What can the HOA do about loose dogs?
As it stands now, not much.  First and foremost, there is a County
Leash Law and Animal Control is responsible for handling these
matters.  But, we can communicate through the Mailing List, the
Newsletter, and place a message on the front entrance sign when
necessary.  Don't forget that for years there has been a permanent
sign at the entrance reminding everyone that county leash laws are in effect.

What can we do to improve this situation?
The current Covenants don't provide any requirements for pets to be
restrained within a property, and they also don't provide recourse
from the HOA.  This is yet another reason that the Covenants need to
be updated - which we are doing this year.  So, be sure to vote for
them when you receive your voting form!

Sincerely,

Amy Figueras
President