[Nhhoa] Vandalism Prevention Suggestions

NHHOA President (Amy Figueras) President at NHHOA.org
Tue Aug 28 00:41:35 CDT 2007

Hi fellow neighbors,

It is great to see so many responses to the recent report of
vandalism at the pool.  We have a wonderful neighborhood with even
better people!

I have added to discuss vandalism and all security options on the
next Board meeting's agenda.

While a policing by community is a great idea, unfortunately, a web
cam at the pool has one big problem...  potential indecency of our
residents on the world wide web.  Even with ways to restrict the
viewing to residents only, the potential of inappropriate use is
unmanageable.  Therefore, we will not implement a web cam.

However, there is merit in closed circuit cameras with recorded tapes
for evidential purposes.  If the Board selects this option, I would
propose implementing a policy that the viewers would be restricted to
those elected/appointed to the HOA and two persons must view the
tapes at the same time.  Recorded tapes are great evidence in court
and just having the cameras there is likely to ward off
vandalism.  We have been looking into this option and I have had a
security professional advise me of the best locations to place them,
should we decide to implement this security measure.

The suggestion to install motion sensor lights is a great idea, and
it worked very well at the neighborhood where I served on the Board
for 4 years.

Moreover, a very effective method is homeowner involvement.  All
homeowners as members of the association have a right to remind
offenders of the rules, gather names/addresses for reporting, and of
course, report incidents to the HOA and/or police.  All reported
incidents must be reported by the eye witness - it must come first
hand.  There is a Who to Contact list located in your last Newsletter
you can keep handy / post by your phone.

To report an incident to the HOA, contact Tom Jackson, Vice
President.  He can be reached by email at VicePresident at NHHOA.org or
by phone (9 am - 9 pm please) at 770-606-0750.

To report an incident to the police, please call them at
770-382-5050, any time.  Yes, a greater presence of law enforcement
does deter vandalism.  Tom Jackson advised that the more calls our
neighbors make to the Bartow County police, the more often they will
tour the neighborhood.  So, if you see anything that constitutes
police involvement, please call them!

You are correct that having all residents aware and alert will help
identify the perpetrators as well as deter them as word gets out that
we are watching for them and protecting our investments.  Homeowners
- spread the word for everyone to look at the amenities as we drive
by for suspicious activity.

The Community Outreach Committee is planning to restart the
Neighborhood Watch program, and I'm glad to see that they will get a
lot of support!  If you would like to participate in the Neighborhood
Watch program, please contact Kimberly Hackler at COC at NHHOA.org.

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming!

Amy Figueras
NHHOA President

Note: previous suggestions replied to are captured below: